The filling of these lemon bars has that perfect balance between tart and sweet, and the
vanilla shortbread cookie crust that is the base of these bars, has the exact right vanilla crusty goodness,
for a perfect combination.
Don't Just Dream About Lemon Bars Packed With Delicious Lemony Goodness, Why Not Go Ahead And Bake Up A Batch? And Remember To Give The Top A Yummy Layer Of Powdered Sugar, To Satisfy Even The Most Discriminating Lemon Lovers' Sweet-Tooth!
Enjoy These Lemon Bars as an Amazing Make-Ahead Dessert!
Just be sure, that when storing, to put them in a 'super clean and odor free,' well sealed, airtight, container. And these moist little sweeties will last in the refrigerator for up to a week. Be sure to store them properly and they will stay deliciously moist and fresh.
We recommend, that before placing the bars into the container, to take a moment to rub the inside of the container with a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. The lemon juice will help clean and freshen the inside of the container while also eliminating any lingering food odors that may have settled in the container due to prior use.
The Perfect Lemon Bars
For the Crust:
◦ ½ pound unsalted butter, room temperature
◦ ½ cup granulated sugar
◦ 2 cups flour
◦ ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
◦ 6 extra-large eggs, room temperature
◦ 3 cups granulated sugar
◦ 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
◦ 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
◦ 1 cup flour
◦ Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For the crust, cream the butter and sugar in a bowl, with an electic mixer, until light and fluffy. For a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment.
3. With the mixer on low, add the flour and salt and mix gently, just until combined. Do not over mix or the crust will be less tender.
4. With well floured hands, knead the dough lightly, then press neatly into a 9 by 13 by 2-inch high baking sheet, building up a 1 to 1½-inch edge on all sides. Chill.
3. Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
4. For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
5. Cut into squares and dust with confectioners' sugar.